Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Share in the Conversation...Darcy on the Hudson


Darcy on the Hudson

Darcy on the Hudson by Mary Lydon Simonsen

To have the Bennets living in America and Bingley, Darcy and Georgiana traveling to America made for a great re-telling of Pride and Prejudice. The characters were true to their nature even in a very different setting. Well, except for Mrs. Bennet and she was delightful!

Poor Mr. Darcy was not a good sea-faring traveler. His bout with motion sickness was quite hilarious at times and got him into trouble with Elizabeth almost immediately upon his arrival to America. Misunderstandings abound across the pond too!

There was less of Wickham and I rather enjoyed that for a change. I have to say, that what there was about him, I liked! What that says about me, I am not so sure. I will leave that for you to decide when you read it for yourself. Colonel Fitzwilliam was not mentioned much and I missed him, as he is one of my favorites. Considering the story line though, his absence was understandable.

When Darcy helps a widow by climbing a ladder and picking apples, I was more endeared to him than ever. This was a bit of a turning point in the eyes of Elizabeth as some of her first impressions of the man were in error. Caroline Bingley was still in want of Darcy as a husband but she is not Charles’ sister! The history between Caroline and Darcy was different and interesting.

I loved the parts about Lizzy’s horse. They were sweet and tender and also made for some great encounters between Elizabeth and Darcy.

On more than one occasion, I laughed out loud. I even had ‘a little water’ in my eyes on others. I loved this book and I thank you, Mary Simonsen, for a good and rewarding read!

5 out of 5 stars

This is my 3rd selection for the P&P Bicentenary Challenge of 2013.

12 comments:

  1. I love Mary Simonsen's books. This is one I haven't read. I'm looking forward to it because I love stories set in Colonial America and I'm intrigued to see P&P told as one.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it. Of all of Mary Simonsen's books I have read, this has now become one of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. I read this book when it first came out. Absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an excellent book, I agree. I didn't want to put it down. Thanks, Bonnie, for coming by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Ladies. Thank you, Janet, for your wonderful review. Good to see Sophia Rose and Bonnie, two of my favorite Janeites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Mary. Thank you and keep writing all those great novels for us to devour.

      Delete
  4. I love those books by Mary Simonsen, I think I own like half of all of them! I can't wait to see whats next on Mary Simonsen's horisont of books!
    Janet T, a question: How to contact you to claim my calendar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia - Elizabeth. I own many of her books as well. I look forward to the new one that will be out soon, too.

      I have received your emails and you should have received my replies by now. Our time difference makes for difficult communications some times. Thanks for emailing me.

      Delete
  5. Lovely review, Janet! I loved this one and it is my favorite by Mary...so far! I haven't caught up yet, she is a busy author! I loved the tender parts about Lizzy's horse too! Darcy is just so sweet in this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Meredith. I feel privileged when you stop by! Mary is a busy author. I don't know how she does it. I read Darcy Goes to War last year and really did like it. (loved its cover) It was my favorite of hers until I read this one. Darcy was wonderful wasn't he!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your review and have definitely put this on my 'to be read' list -- particularly as I also live along the Hudson River! (Does this mean my Darcy is out there somewhere?) I have not yet had the pleasure of reading Ms Simonsen, but will start with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Tess. Guess this book would hold a special interest for you! I'm sure the places mentioned will be very familiar to you. I have read several of Mary Simonsen's books and this one is my favorite to date! By the way, I do hope your Darcy is out there somewhere. I wish mine would be too! :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete